Monday, February 25, 2008

Bipasha is very approachable: Maradona

Bipasha is very approachable: Maradona




As of now, he may not be a known name in the industry, but debutant actor Maradona Rebello will soon be seen sharing screen space with none other than Bipasha Basu in Sanjay Gupta’s Pankh. The film’s being directed by National Award winning director Sudipto Chattopadhyay and the young actor is gung ho about it.

When did you realise that acting was your calling?
I started modelling last year. And at the same time I also gave auditions for films, and commercial ads. Luckily, I got me myself enrolled in a theatre course under Raj Jagdishan. Then I acted in a play titled An Evening with Shakespeare and Actors. I got immense accolades for that role and then I realised that acting was my true calling.

And how did Pankh happened?
I simply sauntered for auditions, clueless about the fact that 250 candidates had already auditioned for the same. Sudipto gave me two pages of the script and asked me to emote in my own way. Then he gave me an entire narration and explained that it was a dark film about a young boy who is promoted as a girl child in films. Later in life, he is not sent to school or college and becomes a drug addict. During this course, my character fantasises about Bipasha. She’s my alter ego who keeps taunting me about my habits.

Most at your age would love to make a commercial film debut. Didn’t you house similar desires?
The fact is, people are opening up to new kind of cinema. Commercial films are a passé. Look at the starcast. I am lucky to have bagged this venture.

How was it like working with Bipasha Basu?
Sudipto had introduced me to Lilette and Bipasha before the shooting commenced so that I got over my fear of acting with big names. Though she’s a big star, Bipasha never intimidated me and I must admit that Bipasha is very approachable.

You dropped college to fulfil your acting dream?
I was in the final year of college doing my Bachelors in Mass Media when I got this offer. I dropped a year only after consulting my principal, professors and parents.

How are your friends reacting to your changed status?
They always knew that I would get into acting. One question that they keep on asking me is about Bipasha. ‘Is she hot?’ .

Any Bollywood favourites?
Kay Kay Menon, Konkona Sen Sharma and Ranvir Shorey.

0 comments: