Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bollywood’s Miss Twinkle Toes

Bollywood’s Miss Twinkle Toes




Those never ending legs are toiling hard. The music system is doing its job. The choreographer, who happens to be the artist’s mother is busy doing her job. Porcelain beauty Isha Sharvani doesn’t get a minute to sit. She is rehearsing for a stage show in Ahmedabad. Beaded with sweat, the dancer flashes a radiant smile that lights up her face.

Enough to encourage us to begin the interview without much ado. “This will be your first performance in Ahmedabad, what does it feel like,” we ask. “Yes,” she answers and switches on to Gujarati immediately. The graceful actor-dancer, whose family gave her the name Isha Sharvani does not believe in carrying her father’s or mother’s name. She respects her parents’ belief in individuality. Daughter of Daksha Sheth, an acclaimed dancer and Dev Issro, an Australian percussionist Isha has learnt Kathak, Chau, Kalaripayattu and Mallakhamb from her mom.

After a Bollywood debut in Subhash Ghai’s Kisna , Isha got more talked about after her flexible tango with dream boat Hrithik Roshan in a commercial. Was that experience of sharing centrestage with Hrithik unnerving? “Well, Hrithik is just awesome as a dancer and I think it’s for the audience to say, if I could match my steps with him,” she avers.

And when she was not putting on her ghungroos for concerts and shows, Isha wrapped up Ajay Devgan’s U Me aur Hum. Does she feel the need to learn more as an actor? “I think we never stop learning. Having said that, even in dancing I don’t have just one inspiration. I go across the world and there is so much to learn.”

How does it feel to be a part of a film industry, which can instantly accept or reject anyone? Isha has big expectations from her forthcoming projects. The actor feels that acting has made her a more emotional performer. “I really admire Nicole Kidman who can sing, dance and act. I think I can be called a dancing actor.”

A firm believer in hard work, Isha feels destiny is about the choices you make and making those choices happen for you. Single, fancy-free and footloose right now, does she prefer it this way? The answer is spontaneous, “Yes, I am enjoying being single but I don’t know if I am fancy free and footloose because right now my legs need to stretch after those rehearsals,” she laughs.

0 comments: