Sunday, January 27, 2008

"All my heroes have been very helpful" Asin

"All my heroes have been very helpful"


Asin was Ravi Teja’s heroine in the blockbuster Amma Naana O Tamila Ammayi. She played a Tamil girl Mookambika Ammal in the film where the hero calls her “Hey Chennai” for convenience. She became a household name with the film's success. Asin the simple looking girl from Kochi in Kerala is among the top heroines in Telugu now. Excerpts from an interview:


Your name is very unusual
Yes it has helped me a lot for various reasons. First of all it is unusual, then nobody finds out that I am a Malayalee or my religion. Actually Asin in Sanskrit means innocent.

How did you enter films?
I did my schooling in Kochi Naval school and passed out with 90 percent in my boards. Right now I am doing my BA literature and my ambition is to appear for the civil service exams. I used to model during my college days and that gave me a lot of exposure. Jeeva the noted cameraman saw me a signed me up to do a Tamil film Ullam Ketkume More with Shaam as the hero. But unfortunately that film has not released till now.

But your first film was in Telugu
Director Puri Jaganathan saw me in a saree advertisement and signed me up to do Amma Naana O Tamila Ammayi with Ravi Teja. The role of Mookambika Ammal is still very close to my heart. I played an orthodox Tamil girl but the heroes always call me ‘Hey Chennai’. Later my fans also started calling me that name (Smiles). The film was a blockbuster.

How was it working opposite Nagarjuna?
Sivamani 98480 22338 was my next film opposite Nagarjuna and I thoroughly enjoyed working opposite a big hero like him. We had shot the songs and some scenes in Kerala like Kochi, Alleppy and Vagamon. I was so excited as my friends from college had come to see me at the shoot.

Now you are slowly becoming the hottest heroine in Telugu...
It is all God’s grace. In Telugu people worship their heroes and they are all down-to-earth and very helpful. Initially there was language problem. But now I have learned to read and write Tamil and Telugu.

Who accompanies you for the shoots
My father is my biggest supporter and friend. He is my manager and PRO (smiles) He gives me all encouragement.

But Telugu industry is full of glitz and glamour.
A leading magazine had me on cover and it says “No Exposure- Asin”. I wear all glamorous clothes but makes sure they are not vulgar. No one has asked me to wear such clothes in any film and luckily all my directors have been excellent.

Future plans
To do good roles. Right now I have signed films opposite heroes like Chiranjeevi, Balakrishna and Venkatesh.

0 comments: