Sunday, January 27, 2008

Genelia: "I'm not a hot babe"

Genelia: "I'm not a hot babe"


Genelia is a rage among the youth audience. Her image is that of a girl-next-door and with blockbusters like Dhee and Bommarillu, she was catapulted to one of the top actresses in South India. Now her Mr.Medhavi is releasing and another film Ready with hero Ram is under progress. We caught up with the bubbly and chirpy actress who is exactly like what her on-screen image is. Excerpts from the interview..

From Goa to Madras, Hyderabad, Mumbai... your journey is remarkable!
(Laughs) No, you are mistaken that I hail from Goa but I am Mangalorean, not Goan. I was born n brought up in Mumbai, where I did my schooling at the Apostolic Carmel High School in Bandra, Mumbai. I was first noticed at a family wedding, and soon after that I did my first ad with Amitabh Bachan and was then spotted by Shankar sir who was doing Boys,and the rest as they say is history.

You worked with Siddharth in Boys (2003) and then in Bommarillu (2006). Did you find any difference?
See, people do change with the time. Both of us were rank newcomers when we were doing Boys. He helped me a lot then while shooting for the film. I did some more films and then Bommarillu and things are different now. He was very nice and friendly during the shoot.

You worked with several heroes - Siddharth, Venkatesh, Sumanth, Jr. NTR, Nithin, Allu Arjun, Raja and now Ram. How do you see the difference in age groups, and how do you mould accordingly?
As an actress, I see what my role is and how I can perform, and I do not give importance to other things. At a time, a section of the media wrote a statement, reportedly from me, that I don't want to work with senior heroes, but I never said that!! ...Working with Venky, I learned a lot really. He gave me a lot of guidance, not just on appropriate attitude on the sets but also on spirituality.

You looked better in Sye than in `Bommarillu`
(Laughs) Thanks, but Sye is a different kind of film compared to Bommarillu. The looks have to go with the character. I don't like to be named a "hot babe" ...I want to known as an actress. In Sye, I was a babe and in Bommarillu, I was not. I would rather act with the face then with the body in future too. Consider Happy, or even Raam - I was mostly in salwar-kameez .

What is wrong with being known as a hot babe? In fact, in a phase of your career, you did films like Samba, Naa Alludu, Subhash Chandra Bose etc., where there was not much to do other than sing and dance with the hero.?
True, but after doing such films, I realized that such an act will not help my career. Bommarillu happened at such a time, and I was a known face not only in Telugu, but also in Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, and in Hindi too. (Incidentally, she won her first Filmfare award for the role in Bommarillu).

0 comments: