Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fab fishetarian

Fab fishetarian

She couldn’t hide her stretch marks in the Welcome item song, but MALAIKA ARORA KHAN remains one of the fittest fab ladies in B-town. Her eating habits may help us know how...

The first thing I have in the morning: Two glasses of warm water with honey, to which I add a dash of lime sometimes. After that, I drink at least another litre of water. I am not into tea or coffee. Later, I have some of my favourite fruits like kiwis, melons, apples along with a glass of orange juice. I like to have a wholesome breakfast, as it helps one to go through the day. I either have an egg white omelette with toast or cereals or idli-dosa.

My diet: I am more of a fishetarian and I don’t really enjoy meat very much. I rarely have red meat. But I am partial to sea-food, especially fish. I love fish cooked with some vegetables. I love all vegetables and salads. Sometimes, I like to have chicken. I have red meat only in biryanis. I am crazy about biryanis.

My lunch: When I am shooting, I prefer to carry my own lunch from home. I avoid eating outside food. When I am at home, I eat whatever has been cooked. I am not at all fussy where food is concerned. My lunch generally comprises dal, rice, a vegetable, a fish dish, salads and curd.

I prefer: Rice to rotis. I am a true-blue South Indian that way.

I am particular about: Carrying nimbu pani made with gur with me from home when I go out on a shoot.

My favourite vegetable: Has always been ladyfingers; though now I like zucchini and broccoli.

My evening snack: If I am ravenously hungry, I might have a sandwich but generally I have tea with either a rusk, or a couple of bread slices with butter because the gap between lunch and dinner is too long. I eat fixed meals and on time. I do not enjoy snacking; if I do it, it is for my sister who loves to eat roadside stuff like bhel puri, pani puri and ragda patties.

My dinner: If it is only for (husband) Arbaaz and me, I like to have my food prepared with very little oil. I don’t eat any kind of carbohydrates at night. I like to have my dinner by 8.30pm.

My favourite food: Curd; it has been so since childhood as my mom is a South Indian. I love curd rice made by my mom. It tastes delicious.

A childhood memory associated with food: I can still remember the aroma of freshly cooked steaming hot rice — it drove me insane! My mom would stir the rice into the oil after frying the fish and I would call it ‘fish rice’. At one time, I lived on curd rice and later on tandoori chicken.

I love eating: Salmon, cold cuts, exotic vegetables and Sushi, which is a major favourite.

My favourite desserts: I don’t really have a sweet tooth, but I love dates and jaggery. I love all kinds of Indian mithai — be it a kaju katri or any other barfi. Gulab jamun is my all-time favourite. I am not a chocolate person. I like coffee walnut ice cream.

Eating out: Is something I love, especially at places which serve good food. It can even be a small place. Between ambience and good food, I’d cast my vote for food. If I am just going out with my friends, we like to go to a place where the food is really good.

My dining friends: We dine with Sanjay Kapoor, Maheep, Sajid Khan, Farah, Amrita Arora, Prashant and Preeta.

To lose weight I avoid: Oily and starchy foods.

My culinary abilities: I can make decent Thai curry and Khowsuey. My favourite cook is my mom Joyce; she makes the best red fish curry and sambhar.

I feel guilty about eating: Nothing. Guilt and food do not go together for me!

0 comments: